Thursday, July 26, 2018

Two defendants in 2000 cold case murder sentenced to state prison

Two defendants convicted in the shooting death of Timothy Morris have been sentenced to state prison.

John Cory Broyles, 41, of Illinois, was sentenced to 45 years to life, and Carmen Worthy, 40, of Texas, was sentenced to 25 years to life. On May 30, a jury found Broyles guilty of one count of first degree murder and found true a firearm allegation. The jury found Worthy guilty of first degree murder.

In March 2000, Timothy Morris’ body was found in Lytle Creek.

“He was shot once in the head, his body was burned and he had been stabbed multiple times,” said Deputy District Attorney Denise Yoakum, who prosecuted the case. “A bloody knife was located in the area where his body was found.”

Broyles was arrested soon after Timothy Morris’ death. However, he was let go due to a lack of evidence. In 2017, members of the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Cold Case Unit reinvestigated the case and uncovered further evidence linking Broyles and Worthy to the murder.

According to DDA Yoakum, Worthey wanted her cousin Timothy Morris dead because she knew he was possibly coming into some money.

Prior to sentencing today, the victim’s niece, Shauraye Holloway gave the following impact statement. Holloway—who said she was “extremely close” to her uncle--was 14-years-old at the time when the murder took place.

Tim’s murder, at the hands of his own blood cousin is sickening. To think that your own family member would orchestrate something so heinous, to kill an innocent man for absolutely nothing should be punished to the full extent. My Uncle had his whole life ahead of him and it was snatched away in an instant. He suffered in that trunk and not one person sought out medical care. The burning, stabbing, and beating were completely evil and unnecessary. I break down in tears when I think about how he must have been fighting for his life that night. Ultimately to only lose the battle.

His killer attended the funeral as if nothing happened, even rode in the family limo, with Tim’s mother. There was never any remorse for what either defendant did, as they continued living their lives for 17 years, while we still were left with unanswered questions and a life without Tim’s presence.

This case was investigated by the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department Cold Case Unit, which consists of Sheriff’s Detectives, District Attorney Investigators and Prosecutors.

No comments:

Post a Comment