Thursday, March 15, 2018

Human Trafficking Prosecution Unit

Kristen Davis (Booking Photo)
A Hesperia man convicted of multiple counts related to pimping, assault and human trafficking of a minor was sentenced today to a maximum 31 years and 8 months in state prison.

This case was prosecuted by Deputy DA Tamara Ross and the Central Division support staff.

The investigation was conducted by San Bernardino Police Department and the District Attorney's Bureau of Investigation.

Click here to read the press release published at time of conviction.

Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Two gang members convicted of murder face 50 years to life in prison

Two gang members were convicted Friday in the murder of 21-year-old David Richardson, Jr., who was gunned down at a Rialto bus stop.

A jury found both 21-year-old Anthony Albert (pictured above left) of Fontana and 22-year-old Noah Davis (pictured above right) of Ontario guilty of one count of Murder and one count of Street Terrorism and found true street terrorism and gun allegations. Both men face 50 years to life each, when sentenced April 27.

On Jan. 12, 2018, 22-year-old Calvin Ranson of Fontana pleaded guilty to one count of Voluntary Manslaughter, with the Gang Enhancement, a Gun Enhancement, and Street Terrorism allegations. He faces 17 years and 8 months when sentenced next month.

The murder dates back to 2014 when all three defendants were driving through their gang’s “territory” and saw someone who they recognized as having associated with a rival gang.

As they drove past the individual, a passenger in the vehicle identified David Richardson as “the enemy.” After parking the vehicle, a passenger handed a loaded handgun back to Albert, Davis and Ransom. Albert took the gun and all three men exited the car and started walking towards Richardson.

The victim was on the phone, waiting at the bus stop to go to work, when Albert snuck up behind him and opened fire.

According to Deputy DA Mallory Miller, who prosecuted the case, the defendant fired his weapon at least seven times.

“When Mr. Albert opened fire, Mr. Richardson tried to run away from his attacker but couldn’t,” Deputy DA Miller said. “The victim was caught off-guard and the defendant, benefiting from the element of surprise, used this advantage to hit his target at least six of the seven times he pulled the trigger. One bullet hit square in Mr. Richardson’s back and another through the back of his head. He ultimately died face down in the street in a pool of his own blood, still holding his cellphone.”

After shooting the victim, Albert ran back to the other two defendants who had been waiting at a pedestrian gate, keeping it from closing until Albert returned.

The motive stemmed from a gang feud dating back to 2005. Although Richardson was not a member of a criminal street gang, the defendants believed him to be an associate of their rival gang. This case was investigated by the Rialto Police Department.

Monday, March 12, 2018

DA's Office Wins Three American Advertising Awards in the Public Service Category

SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. – The San Bernardino County District Attorney’s Office has been recognized with three awards in the 2018 Inland Empire American Advertising ADDY Awards Competition. The winning work includes two categories:
In the category of “Public Service Online Film, Video & Sound,” the office received a Golden ADDY for Peace Officer Memorial and a Silver Award for Fearless Faith.
In the category of “Public Service Online/Interactive Campaign,” the office received a Bronze ADDY for Cueing It Up With Dozer.
“Our goal in all the videos and public service campaigns we create is to keep the public informed about work done by the San Bernardino County District Attorney’s Office,” said District Attorney Mike Ramos. “Whether we are honoring our fallen officers or raising awareness about domestic violence, we hope that the message resonates with the public we serve.”
All three entries were directed and edited by Public Affairs Officer Christopher Lee.
The American Advertising Awards Inland Empire Competition is part of the national American Advertising Awards, the world’s largest advertising competition with about 40,000 professional entries in almost 200 local competitions and about 5,000 student entries.
The entry Peace Officer Memorial will now move on to compete in one of fifteen district competitions for the right to make it to the national finals.

Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Fontana man sentenced to life in prison for murdering ex-girlfriend’s father

SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. – A judge sentenced a Fontana man to 25 years to life in state prison Wednesday for the 2013 murder of Alejandro Padilla (pictured left).

“A lifetime of imprisonment can’t change what he has done to us,” Mr. Padilla’s daughter Emily told Judge Gregory S. Tavill at the sentencing hearing for Edward Morales. “No matter how much time he serves, he can never take away all the hurt and suffering that his actions have caused our family. He robbed us of our future.”

Edward Morales, 21, was convicted in Nov. 2016 of First Degree Murder, Robbery, Carjacking and Kidnapping for the Purpose of Robbery.

The body of 40-year-old Alejandro Padilla was found in July 2013 inside a burning vehicle, which belonged to the victim. The following month investigators from the Fontana Police Department arrested Morales—who had dated Mr. Padilla’s daughter and knew the victim—and 18-year-old Richard Gonzalez. Morales’ mother, Alma Quezada, 41, of Fontana, was also arrested as an accessory after the fact to murder.

According to Deputy District Attorney Reza Daghbandan, who prosecuted the case, Morales and Gonzalez decided to rob the victim believing he often carried a lot of money.

“On the day of the crime, both defendants waited for the victim to come out of his home to go to work,” Daghbandan said. “When he came out of his house, they confronted him with a bat and a gun and then dragged him into his own car.”

While Morales was driving, Gonzalez was in the back beating the victim with a gun and stabbing him with scissors. At some point, the victim died in the car. Morales left the car at a park and Gonzales later returned to burn it.

Mr. Padilla’s two daughter’s Emily and Danielle, standing alongside District Attorney Victim Advocate Wendy Salas, also read a statement at Wednesday’s sentencing on behalf of their mother: 

“Our lives have forever been changed. We no longer can hear the voice that brought us so much happiness and laughter. And for a long time since that day, we have felt so much pain and anger. He took away my best friend, my husband, the father of my girls. It brings me to tears to know that they won’t ever be able to walk down the aisle on their wedding day with their dad’s hand next to them, that they can no longer go to him when they are feeling sad and need a comforting hug.”

Richard Gonzalez, one of the four defendants in the case, committed suicide while in custody two days after being arrested. Quezada was sentenced Sept. 4, 2015 to 19 days in County Jail. Victor Morales pleaded guilty to Accessory After the Fact in Sept. 2015.

This case was investigated by the Fontana Police Department.

For more on this story visit The San Bernardino Sun

Monday, March 5, 2018

Hesperia man sentenced to life for raping 14-year-old girl

A Hesperia man who broke into a house and raped a 14-year-old girl was sentenced Thursday to 15 years to life in prison.
Julio Moncada, now 24, confessed to raping the girl after breaking into the home in Hesperia at night. Moncada (pictured left) did not know the victim, but had a brief flirtatious relationship with her older sister before the sister broke up with him.
“This was a terrible crime – a stranger broke into the victim’s house, entered her room, beat her and raped her,” said Deputy District Attorney David Foy, who prosecuted the case for the Victorville Division’s Family Violence Unit.
Moncada, who was 18 at the time of the Nov. 2011 offense, pleaded no contest on Jan. 12, 2018 to one count of forcible rape of a child, and admitted a special allegation that the crime was committed during a burglary. He was sentenced by Superior Court Judge Bryan Stodghill.
According to evidence presented in a preliminary hearing, the victim never had previous contact with Moncada, but recognized him based on a Facebook photo as someone who knew her sister. The sister testified that after she broke up with Moncada earlier that year, he sent her threatening text messages.
Moncada initially denied any involvement in the crime, but after questioning by San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Detective Christine Kirby, now a sergeant, he confessed to the rape.