Wednesday, March 30, 2016

San Bernardino County Auto Theft Task Force (SANCATT) to offer free VIN etching to prevent car thefts



SAN BERNARDINO, Calif.– To prevent car thefts, the San Bernardino County Auto Theft Task Force (SANCATT) is conducting a special event Sunday at Victor Valley College. Members of the task force will be offering free vehicle identification number etching on people’s car windows.

The process includes using paper stencils and liquid applicators to lightly etch each vehicle’s unique VIN number on the window.

According to Senior Investigator Tom Boyles, who is assigned to the Task Force, VIN numbers not only assist law enforcement in the recovery of the vehicle, if it’s stolen, but also serve as a visible deterrent to thieves.

Two weeks ago members of the task force held a VIN etching for the public which is documented in the following YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR06CfeoVdg

About SANCATT

SANCATT investigates automobile theft to include motorcycles, boats, personal water craft, recreational vehicles, utility trailers, semi-trucks, off highway vehicles, and construction equipment.

“The goal of the Task Force is to reduce the incidence of vehicle theft countywide,” said San Bernardino Police Sgt. Rob Young. “Our primary efforts are directed towards the professional vehicle thief, with emphasis on organized vehicle theft operations.”

Investigators are available as a resource to all law enforcement agencies within San Bernardino County, Sgt. Young added. SANCATT Investigators can provide assistance to local agencies or, at the discretion of the requesting agency, assist with their major auto theft cases.

SANCATT is comprised of investigators from the following participating agencies: California Highway Patrol, San Bernardino Police Department, San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department, San Bernardino County District Attorney’s Office, California Department of Insurance, and the National Insurance Crime Bureau.

Lifer Parole Unit secures three-year denial of parole for inmate convicted in shooting death of military man

SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. – The San Bernardino County District Attorney’s Lifer Parole Unit secured a three-year denial of parole of an inmate who committed second degree murder with use of a firearm in 1980.

Louis Michael Paluzzi, 58, is currently being held at Correctional Training Facility in Soledad.

According to Deputy District Attorney Diane Harrison who appeared Friday on behalf of the District Attorney’s Office, Paluzzi pulled into a Fontana gas station and with no warning, pulled out a rifle and aimed and shot the victim in the head. 

“The inmate continued to pump gas and take off without paying for it, leaving the victim dying and his wife present to witness the incident,” Harrison said.

Monday, March 21, 2016

Welcome to the newest members of the Bureau of Investigation

Chief Mike Smith swears in Investigator R. Acevedo 

Chief Mike Smith swears in Senior Investigator B. Gardner

Pictured left to right: Sr. Investigator B. Gardner, Chief Mike Smith and Investigator R. Acevedo

Monday, March 14, 2016

Machete-wielding man sentenced to 25 years to life in state prison

Tyrone Burton (Booking Photo)
SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. – Nearly two years after threatening to kill his pregnant girlfriend with a machete, Tyrone Burton was sentenced Friday at the Joshua Tree Superior Court.

Superior Court Judge Rodney Cortez sentenced 48-year-old Burton of San Bernardino to 25 years to life for the Aug. 2014 incident.

 In Dec. 2015, after an hour of deliberation, a jury found Burton guilty of one count of Assault with a Deadly Weapon and one count of Criminal Threats and found true two prior strikes.

At the time of the attack, Burton and the victim—who was pregnant with their fourth child—had been dating for approximately ten years. An argument erupted between the two which resulted in Burton striking the victim several times.

According to Deputy District Attorney Melissa Monrreal, who prosecuted the case, the defendant then picked up a machete and swung it at the victim, threatening to kill her.

“At that point, the defendant’s daughter intervened in an attempt to stop the attack while their younger son stood by watching the attack,” Monrreal said.

This case was investigated by the San Bernardino Police Department and prosecuted by the Central Division Family Violence Unit.