Wednesday, April 29, 2015

IN THE NEWS: Trial ordered in Oro Grande shooting

Shawn Myers is ushered into a Victorville Superior Court room for his preliminary hearing on Tuesday morning. Myers is accused of attempted murder in Oro Grande. James Quigg, Daily Press

By Shea Johnson

VICTORVILLE — A 40-year-old man suspected of shooting another man once in the stomach and again in the arm was ordered Tuesday to stand trial for attempted murder.

Shawn Myers was arrested Dec. 12 in the 16700 block of Sunset Road in Victorville, more than two weeks after a shooting in Oro Grande that left 23-year-old Steven Brown seriously injured.

Now in a wheelchair, Brown was rolled in front of the counsels’ desk during Tuesday’s emotionally-charged preliminary hearing to testify about the Nov. 25 incident, with San Bernardino County Deputy District Attorney Sherman Curi sitting just two feet in front of him.

Several times, Victorville Superior Court Judge Raymond L. Haight was forced to sustain objections by Myers’ defense attorney, Brian Watson, because Brown’s responses were often off-topic.

“It’s hard,” Brown said about testifying at one point. “I feel bad that I keep going through this ... with this girl that didn’t really love me in the first place ... I’m so (messed) up in the head from this! And (Myers) shot me, (but) she did me in.”

Brown testified his mother had dropped him off in Oro Grande to see a woman he described as having an off-and-on relationship with. The two were drinking and smoking marijuana at the woman’s father’s house, before going to Oro Grande Market for liquor.

After buying a bottle of Schnapps, the two hung out in front of Cross Eyed Cow Pizza, when the woman asked Brown if he wanted to meet her friend, Myers, according to Brown’s testimony.

Brown said he believed he was in a relationship with the woman, but soon found out that Myers and the woman were together. Outside Myers’ home, Brown claimed he acted non-confrontational toward Myers, only telling Myers that if he didn’t treat the woman right, he would take issue with him.

According to Brown, Myers went inside his home at some point — reportedly not goaded by any threats — returned with a chrome 12-gauge shotgun and told the woman, who held Brown’s cell phone, to move and then aimed the gun at him.

“I didn’t say nothing,” Brown said. “He already had his mind made up (to shoot).”

Brown said he was struck once in the right side of his stomach and again in the right arm. The bullets left fragments in his chest and arm.

“I ran into the (Oro Grande) market. I tried to get my phone from (the woman) to get some help, but she had it still,” said Brown, growing overcome with emotion and no longer following Curi’s questioning.

“I need help! Call an ambulance! He shot me!” Brown cried.

Sitting in the fourth row of the gallery, Brown’s mother wiped tears from her face. Haight called for a short recess and warned Curi that he would declare a mistrial if Brown couldn’t be controlled. Eleven minutes later, the hearing resumed and Watson examined a now more composed Brown about two felony convictions on his record, including making criminal threats, one which sent Brown to prison.
But despite Watson’s persistence, Brown insisted he did not threaten Myers, nor escalate the situation, and told Watson that during that day he only drank one beer, inhaled one “hit” of marijuana and took one “swig” of the Schnapps.

Brown also denied telling Myers that he possessed a gun or reached at his waistband as if to grab a gun.

San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Detective Scott Chapdelaine, the second and last witness to testify, took the stand briefly only to provide Myers’ date of birth and confirm that he conducted the investigation into Brown’s shooting.

Click here to read the full story.

No comments:

Post a Comment