Bail set at $5 million for two men accused in Chino fatal shooting
Lori Fowler, San Bernardino Sun
RANCHO CUCAMONGA >> A Superior Court judge entered not guilty pleas Tuesday for the two men charged in the fatal shooting of a Check N Go clerk last week.
Jorge Esteban Cisneros, 43, of Ontario and David Mendez, 29, of Pomona were present and in custody for their arraignment inside the West Valley Superior Courthouse in Rancho Cucamonga. Charges were filed Tuesday morning.
Cisneros faces murder, robbery and receiving stolen property charges, according to the criminal complaint. He is believed to be the alleged shooter, and the weapon used in the crime was allegedly a “Sig Sauer 9mm handgun, which had been stolen and obtained by extortion.”
Mendez was charged with murder and robbery.
The murder was described as willful, deliberate, and premeditated, according to the complaint.
Cisneros and Mendez were arrested early Saturday morning, about 12 hours after Chino police allege they shot Vanessa Martinez, 24, of Riverside inside the store in the 1200 block of Central Avenue.
Officers got a call shortly after 1:20 p.m. that the store had been robbed and the woman employee possibly suffered gunshot wounds.
An investigation revealed that two men walked into the business — a direct payday loan lender — shot the clerk, and then robbed the business before fleeing in a dark, four-door Nissan Altima, according to a police news release.
“The crime is very, very serious,” Deputy District Attorney Kent Williams told Judge Michael Libutti.
The suspects entered the building and within seconds they went up to Martinez, who sat innocently behind the counter, Williams said.
They “executed her and then they ransacked the place looking for money,” he said.
At the request of the prosecutor, Libutti set bail for each man at $5 million - due to the seriousness of the crime and the threat to the community.
Click here to read the rest of the story.